Your Dream Kitchen Awaits You
Marble Countertops in Greenville SC | East Coast Granite & Tile
For those homeowners looking to add some elegance and visual impact to their home, nothing beats the style and grace of marble countertops. Usually reserved for the kitchen or bathroom, they can actually add a dramatic aspect to the décor of any room in a house. Deciding on what type and style of marble to use is not particularly difficult, but there are certain factors that should to be considered.
What Exactly is Marble?
For all its beauty, marble is simply a type of rock. More specifically, it is a metamorphic rock – meaning that it has been changed (metamorphosized) from its original composition of carbonate materials – usually limestone – through the effects of intense pressure and heat on the substrate and then its subsequent recrystallization.
Marble comes in a variety of colors depending on what other minerals are included in the mix. For example, limestone with a high magnesium silicate content will usually result in serpentine – a dark green marble, sometimes mottled or spotted like a snake's skin, hence the name.
Similarly, sand, clay or iron oxides will result in other colors from red and blue through brown and gray to more exotic varieties such as yellow streaked with violet. Mother Nature is truly an artist.
Why Use Marble?
Marble is prized by both sculptors and interior designers for several reasons. It is amazingly resistant to heat and renowned for its outstanding durability. It does, however, require a fair degree of maintenance to retain its superb look and feel. In particular, marble must be properly sealed after installation – and resealed every two to three years – to avoid staining. In addition, spills, especially ones involving acidic liquids, should be wiped up as soon as possible.
Ready for the kitchen of your dreams?
Follow Us Online
More Reason to Consider Marble Countertops
- The veining in every marble slab is unique – no two countertops will ever look the same
- Marble complements every type of décor from traditional to modern
- It covers the entire spectrum in terms of color including basic white
- Multiple finishes are available so that a homeowner can get the exact look and feel that they want
Marble Countertop Colors
While most people associate marble with the brilliant white statues produced by the artists of ancient Greece and Rome, stonemasons know that there are a multitude of colors available. White or gray marble can act as a great backdrop for almost any decor but the blues, greens, dark blacks and uniquely hued pinks and yellows can provide a stunning centerpiece to any kitchen or bathroom. In addition, if you are willing to pay the price, the marble veining can even be bookmatched for a truly stunning effect.
Marble Kitchen Countertops
Though somewhat problematic to install properly, marble countertops are enormously popular – with homeowners – and for good reason. It makes for a beautiful countertop. Here are just a few other factors to consider involving this magnificent material:
- Multiple finishes – Marble countertops comes in two main finishes – polished and honed. The former coats the entire surface giving it a smooth and shiny glossy while also providing a good degree of protection against stains. The latter has a more velvety feel. It is not as shiny or reflective as polished marble but much more scratch resistant.
- Heat resistance – Due to its high heat resistance, marble is an ideal material for use around fireplaces and kitchen surrounds. One caveat, marble will discolor if heat is directly applied through a hot pot or pan. So, have some sense and use oven warmers when you remove those hot plates.
- Baking surface– The smooth and usually cool surface of a marble countertop makes it perfect for preparing dough for a pie or some other tasty comestible. The dough typically does not stick. As a baker, even if you do not want to include marble in your entire kitchen, consider it for an island or other out of the way place specifically designed for rolling out dough.
Marble Bathroom Countertops
Until the development of more modern – and synthetic – materials, marble was considered the de rigueur choice for countertops in any high-end home. Other types of stones are now appreciated but there is no denying that the elegance and warm sophistication of marble still delivers a very special ambiance. Marble's high tolerance for heat is also a benefit as all styling tools and other electrical devices that produce significant heat may be used without worrying about damage to the countertop.
While having marble countertops installed in your home may seem like a daunting task, it is actually quite simple. In fact, East Coast Granite & Tile offers a simple 5-step process that takes all the pain and stress out of the process. Take a look:
- Start with the estimate form – East Coast Granite & Tile offers a free estimate form online. Once we receive it, we will assign a design specialist to help walk you through the rest of the process. We can answer your questions immediately and give you a rough quote within 24 hours.
- Choose your stone – In addition to choosing the type of stone best suited to your needs, edging styles and finishes can also be specified. You can choose over the Internet or visit one of our design centers before finally deciding.
- Schedule the templating – Once the design choices are finalized, it is time to start the fabrication process. Initially, a technician will arrive on a scheduled date to take the exact measurements of the spaces for the countertops. We are proud of the accuracy of this part of the process and guarantee that all of our countertops will fit to a tee.
- Next comes the fabrication - Our meticulous fabrication process not only follows the template created beforehand, but also customizes the finish and edging specified by you. Fabrication usually takes between 5 and 7 business days.
- Finally, have the finished product installed – It takes the right tools, the right materials and a whole lot of experience to install and then seal a marble countertop in the proper manner. East Coast granite & Tile has the resources to do the job right - on time and on budget. Do not settle for second-best.
The design, fabrication and installation teams at East Coast Granite & Tile offer an unparalleled wealth of information and advice to our customers. For over a decade, our family-owned business has been serving clients all across the North and South Carolina. Our goal is complete satisfaction with every installation.
All our marble countertop installations are guaranteed for one year for workmanship and our sealer protection has a 25 year warranty. So, if you are looking for the smoothest and most seamless buying and installation experience, contact us today for a free estimate.